Tuesday, July 24, 2007

From my own life, I would like to share with all of you an event that happened yesterday.

23 July 2007

It was a muggy day. Not cold, but the kind of day where the air just hangs like a soggy curtain, choking the freshness and leaving you gasping for a breeze. As miserable as it was though, the chill of anticipation was high - a meeting was about to occur! A meeting of minds, of souls, of a community built on sharing and genuine care for fellow human beings. It was the day four babblers met for the first time. We're not talking about an earth summit though, just four friends meeting for tea. I finished work at 2pm and we had arranged to meet at Murchies, a tea house in downtown Victoria long known for it's distinctive tea blends.

I drove into town and despite the weather, it was packed with tourists. My anxiety was high - I would never find a parking spot. After searching for a few moments, I was able to locate a spot, fed the meter some coins and made my way into the restaurant. I knew her right away - Stid is a genuine beauty, her warm eyes and smile put me instantly at ease. Hetty and Jillibus were there as well and the Stid Kids looked up happily from their lunches. We said hello to each other and immediately launched into a typical babbler's conversation: how was everyone's health? How was Mr.P? Did anyone check the log this morning? It was wonderful to talk to these people, to look into their eyes, to be animated with them. Strange too, since our usual form of communication had been a keyboard or, more recently, a telephone. Hetty and Jillibus are fascinating people and shared with me pictures of the other SSI babblers, including the lovely and talented Flosey.

Our meeting was hours too short though and before I knew it, we were running to the parking meters to save our cars. I walked with Hetty, Jillibus, Stid and her children to Hetty's car and we took some pictures. An obliging commissionaire took a group shot then told Hetty that her car was parked illegally. Suddenly reminded of my own car, I took off running to get it and save myself a parking ticket and drove back to where Hetty had parked. I wished them all well, not knowing that Hetty and Jilli were off on their own trip home.

Looking back, I wish I had had the energy to play tourguide for Stid and her family - and I hope that she does not think I abandoned her - I had invited the entire Stid family to stay at my house the next time they decided to come to the island and I hope she'll take me up on the offer. If Stid is reading this, we have a lovely set of rooms in the lower section of the house where all our guests stay and she is more than welcome.

Babble-land is truly a wonderful community and getting to know the people behind the nicknames makes our friendship so much more special. Thank you so much to Hetty, Jillibus and Stid (and her boys) for such a wonderful meeting. I really enjoyed it - and now I have a piece of Stid's art to call my own.

What a day!!!


No comments: